Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Money

Sometimes I think that money is just a necessary evil...I've been a naughty girl.

We bought a new refrigerator. It's beautiful. I used to make fun of people who got excited about home appliances... Those were the days.

We bought an mp3 player. It's beautiful, too.

We bought a pressure washer. Although not beautiful, it will help make our house beautiful. We have wide eaves and the house never gets rain on it directly. That's a good thing for leaving the windows open during rainstorms. It's a bad thing for getting air moving through the house and the damn dirt on the siding (cedar, not vinyl).

Although I get a nice fat check for teaching summer school, it's all spoken for - paying off the above, giving some to medical bills, going to KY to see my in-laws, setting aside some for xmas, and the rest to the big cc. Not a terrible thing, but it was supposed to all go to the big cc so we could get it paid down.

I have my student loans in forebearance with the hopes that we'd use that extra $185/month to send to the big cc. It hasn't really happened that way. I'm getting better, though, and I'm bound and determined to get that money out of the checking account and to the cc. See...if it's there...we spend it.

The last three months I've also been good about getting budgeting money out in cash and keeping it in the safe. Things like the water bill, which we only pay every three months. If it stays in the checking account, we spend it - then suffer when we have to pay the water bill. So - that's been working well. So far. I want to get a second checking account (no ATM card) for that stuff, that we can just transfer the money between accounts at the bank. Every time we go there, though, they're always stinking busy. We need to try again.

I may also have another rummage sale this summer. My mom is cleaning out the basement, and she sends things to us for that - she doesn't want the money, she just wants it out of the house. She does that a lot. We got a ton of glassware from her doing that, too.

Ebay - well, it's been going well. We've been keeping things on there pretty steadily, and making some money. Slowly but surely...I'm going to set paypal up to pay the cc directly. We pay ourselves back the shipping costs, which can get pretty hefty sometimes. I set up a great area in my basement where I have a table, shipping stuff, etc., plus a bookshelf with all the stuff to sell on ebay right next to it. It's great. It's been really nice to have it all in one spot.

I don't think I'm ready to post how much we owe as of yet. That's still private. But - I'll post one of them - the Best Buy card (for the fridge) has a little over $800 on it. That will be gone after next week. :)

I guess that's it for now. I'm going to save this blog for money and teaching stuff. How exciting! lol

No comments: