Saturday, July 04, 2009

Fruit!

I've had some good karma around fruit lately...sounds weird, hey? Well, a friend is going on vacation and asked me to pick his raspberries so the fruit doesn't go bad, and so they grow back in. I was going to go this morning, but there was rain on the radar and I didn't want to get wet (and then, it didn't even rain!). I'm hoping, fingers crossed, to go tomorrow.

But then I was at Woodman's today, and I always check out their produce "old" bins. They usually bag produce on the verge of going bad into bags marked 79 cents, and I'm usually pretty lucky as to when they get them out - which is kinda weird, but very good. Well, today they had cherries. I got two bags, and each bag was somewhere between 1-1/2 and 2 pounds. I got them home...and they are some of the BEST cherries I've ever had! They aren't your regular bing cherries, but other than that, I have no clue what they are. They're really big - about half the size of a plum - and very sweet. I actually went back to get more! I ended up with 6 bags, so probably about 10 pounds. Most of that went into the dehydrator tonight, with a chunk left for baking. I might even try some cherry cordial - we'll see how brave I am. ;)

I really love putting food up for later. Canning, dehydrating, freezing -- I really love it. Don't enjoy cooking all that much, but the putting up...yeah. I enjoy that. Weird, hey?

Well, hopefully I can get some raspberries tomorrow...



No comments: