Saturday, August 25, 2007

Couponing can be hazardous to your budget...

I've been having such a blast with the couponing...but after tallying things up, I think (know) I've gone a little overboard.

I do have a REALLY nice set-up and stockpile, but I overspent a little bit. Luckily, it went over 2 paychecks (we get paid on the 20th of each month), so it isn't hurting as much as it could. Plus, we still have "extra" money coming in from side stuff. BUT...that doesn't help our overall debt-reduction plan.

Lesson learned: just because you get things cheap doesn't mean it's a good idea to save the money NOW. We are only two people. We do not need 5 tubes of toothpaste, even if I only paid a quarter a piece for them. Now, I know that $1.25 will not break us, but it's an example - and it all adds up.

So - no more coupon deals unless it's (1) free, or (2) a super-good deal (80% off+) and it's something we really use/need. That's it.

On a brighter note, we are closer to our BEF of $1000 - we are now at $767.74. We should have the $1000 within a few weeks. The September check will show my annual raise/step movement on the salary scale, and I'm still waiting for over $800 worth of reimbursements and honoraria.

So...we're still plugging away. I need to get on Quicken soon to pay the bills. Like, in the next 2 days.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Hi Kris. Congratulations on almost completing your BEF! And couponing is a lot of fun - isn't it? I need to get back into it.

So hard to focus on so many different areas of finance at the same time! (being frugal, earning extra income, tracking expenses, etc.!)

Keep up the good work!