Thursday, June 29, 2006

Waitressing

Well, the interview at Olive Garden went well, but I don't think I'll take the job if they call again. Honestly - it's just too much thinking for a second job.

Their training is intense - 40 hours, watching videos mainly. BOR-ING. 5 tests - including one on wines, one on mixed and frou frou drinks, one on the menu - all must be passed with 90% or higher in order to take tables. 4 full shifts of following a trainer (no tips). 4 full shifts of a trainer following you (no tips). 2 weeks of limited tables (2 table sections). Then, permanently no more than a 3 table section (WHAT?).

When I worked at the Chancery, on the busiest Fri and Sat nights, we had 4 table sections, growing larger as the night went on and people were cut. I have no clue how they make any money at OG - 3 table sections suck. Yeah, "When you're here, you're family", but I have needs to meet.

So...driving home, I thought about how icky that was, and I observed that knot in my stomach, and I realized...

I'm in control.

I don't have to take this job. It's not like we wont' eat if I don't. It's just to pay off some bills and get some money to go to Vegas. That's all.

So...I won't.

That's power. I'm not used to it. It's freakin' awesome.

Yes, I want to pay down our bills. Yes, I want to save up to go to Vegas so we can pay cash. Yes, I want a larger EF. But not at the cost of my sanity. Not to become a slave to someone else.

I know some would disagree - it's only for a summer, after all. But hey...we're making ends meet. I'll find something else.

And if not, we'll be just fine.

Power, baby. It rocks.

No comments: